However, I have this afternoon finished the 2008 version which is playing in the background as I write this. So to celebrate I thought I'd blog about my top ten tracks of the year, although I wasn't quite able to narrow it down to ten.
1) My Mistakes Where Made For You - The Last Shadow Puppets
Favourite track from my favourite album of the year. Gorgeously lush and cinematic.
2) Brand Nu - Soopasoul
Just damned funky.
3) Easy Diggin' - The Five Corners Quintet
I've been listening to a lot of really great new jazz this year and it was difficult to choose a favourite, but this track really swings.
4) Hurry On Now - Alice Russell
She doesn't sound like she comes from Suffolk.
5) 28 Butts - Little Jackie
Clever, funny song writing and a rollicking rhythm.
6) So Much Out The Way - Estelle
Same as above here, but with a UK flavour and a touch of controversy.
7) Many Things - Fela's Egypt 80 & Seun Kuti
Afrobeat from Nigeria.
8) Monkey Bee - Monkey
I went to see the Damon Albarn composed opera, Monkey - Journey to the West, based on the famous Chinese folk tale of the troublemaker Monkey at the O2 in November. Amazing show with gorgeous costumes and remarkable acrobatics. This my favourite track from the album. You may recognise bits of it as similar to the music used by the BBC as the opening titles for their Olympics coverage.
9) Stuck on Repeat - Little Boots
I saw Little Boots perform a different track to this on the Jools Holland show and went looking for more. She comes from Blackpool and uses what must be the gadget of the year.
10) Oxford Comma - Vampire Weekend
More clever songwriting.
11) Una Dia Otra Noche - Alla
I don't really know much about this. Just fun.
12) Days of Fire - Nitin Sawhney featuring Natty
A moving piece about London, the 7/7 attacks, and the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes.
13) I Am Leaving - Laura Groves